Established in 1936 (when Fort Lowell Rd was a dirt thoroughfare) OK Feed & Supply has specialized in high quality animal/livestock feeds, farm products and pet supplies.
But, there is SO much more! I was surprised at how many products they carry. Since our focus at Tucson Yard & Garden Resources is geared toward, well … “Yard & Garden”, then that’s the direction I’ll take as I write this review.
My first interest was to find a galvanized stock tank to make a self-watering planter for the garden. I’d driven down Fort Lowell Rd. countless times and kept seeing this store that had a horse on it’s roof and a name that mentioned “Feed”. Putting two and two together, I thought that just maybe they’d cater to the livestock business (which they do). And where livestock live, they need water … which is often supplied in stock tanks. So I stopped in one day. Eureka! There they were. OK Feed & Pet Supply had several different sizes and shapes to choose from – in both round and oblong (oval). I’d found exactly what I was looking for.
Then I began to explore. I wondered what other kinds of yard and garden products I might find. First I started outside, and here’s what I found:
- Straw (baled)
- Galvanized Raised Bed Planters (bottomless – various oblong sizes)
- Metal Fire Rings
- Wire Fencing – excellent for trellises (16′ long x 5′ tall flat sections – with 2″ x 4″ square grids. OK Feed will roll-up and bind these sections for you for easier transport.
- Galvanized Stock Tanks (round and oblong) – various size
Then it was time for peek inside. I saw everything from; baby chicks and poultry care to pet foods and pet toys; from horse saddles and tack to livestock feed and tropical bird food . Most of the store is dedicated to serving the four legged friends we call pets or farm animals. I did however find a section that is dedicated exclusively to wild outdoor birds. And if you’re like me and my wife, we love birds in our yard and garden. This area of the store is stocked with:
- Hummingbird Feeders
- Wild Bird Feeders
- Bird Food (suet cakes, bagged bird seed mixes, seed blocks, hummingbird nectar mix, thistle/nyjer seed, peanuts, millet, flaxseed, etc., etc.).
- Buy it by the pound – If you only want a small amount of either nyjer/thistle or their “Eclectic” mix you can scoop it out of a barrel into a store provided bag. The counter will weigh it and ring you up accordingly.
And for you gardeners out there who are looking to amend your growing mediums, there are several products sold that can be mixed into the soil to create fertilizers, nutrient mixes, etc.:
- Alfalfa Meal
- Fish Meal
- Alfalfa Pellets
- Cotton Seed Meal
- Kelp Meal
- Rabbit Pellets
- Horsed Pellets
They also sell food grade diatomaceous earth that can be used around plants to keep crawling insects away.
Finally, when it comes to customer service, I found OK Feed & Pet Supply to be second to none. They have employees who are trained to know certain product categories like the back of their hand. I spoke personally with the Store Manager. She was incredibly knowledgeable, patient, and went above and beyond in answering the plethora of questions I had about the store and its products. I also texted back and forth with the General Manager via their website. There is a “chat” box at the lower right hand corner of the website that pops up asking if you need any help. He answered a bunch of questions online and suggested I call the Store Manager if I thought of anything else.
All in all a great visit. Don’t let the name fool you. There’s plenty of yard and gardening products at OK Feed & Pet Supply. It’s a treasure trove for sure. And if you want to pick up some pet supplies while you’re there, it’ll be a one stop shopping outing.
If you haven’t had the opportunity to check it out, I think you’ll find it worth the trip … I certainly did.
- Military Discount (with ID): 5%
-Store sales happen usually once or twice a year
- Loyalty Program for dog and cat foods & certain feeds/quantities. Call or visit store for details.
- "Dollar Off Day" on Tues. & Wed. each week on bird food, grain & livestock feed. Must purchase in 40 lb. bags (or higher weight) to receive the discount.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.